As used in this policy, the terms "using" and "processing" information include using cookies on a computer, subjecting the information to statistical or other analysis and using or handling information in any way, including, but not limited to collecting, storing, evaluating, modifying, deleting, using, combining, disclosing and transferring information within our organization or among our affiliates within the United States or internationally.
What Information Do We Collect?
We collect, receive, generate and store the following types of information:
Personal Information is information that can be used to identify or contact you, including but not limited to your name, address, email address, gender, birthday, telephone number, account identifiers, account password, payment information, credit card information and other billing data. We collect, receive and store your Personal Information when you connect or register for the Services (including the hopin Application) through Facebook or another third party source (as described below) or when you directly provide such information in connection with sign-up, registration or interaction with Company on or through the Services, including without limitation when you download the hopin Application or open any related account or membership, when you subscribe to a newsletter, respond to a survey, fill out a form, or complete your profile through the Services.
Certain contact and other Personal Information may be necessary to use, sign up or register for Services, utilize certain features or functionality on the Services, or otherwise transact business with us. You can choose not to provide such information, but then you might not be able to use or take advantage of our Services, Site, business transactions or portions thereof.
Information From Third Parties:
We collect Personal Information and other information about or related to you from Facebook and potentially other third parties (“Facebook Information”) when you connect, register or sign-up for the Services (including when you download the hopin Application). In such cases, you allow Company to access and obtain Personal Information and other Facebook Information about you from Facebook (including from your Facebook profile information and pictures and information about your friends and likes) and such other third parties. The Facebook Information you allow hopin to access and collect is affected by the privacy settings you establish with Facebook or such other third parties (and you can control and find out more about these settings by visiting Facebook.com). The Facebook Information is subject to certain terms and conditions which restrict and proscribe our use, disclosure and protection of your Facebook Information in accordance with the applicable policies on Facebook.com (or the websites of such other third parties, if applicable) (the “Facebook Restrictions”).
User Content is information, data, text, files, software, graphics, music, audio, photographs, video, messages, communications or other materials, that you upload, submit, post, transmit, share or otherwise provide on, through or to the Services. For example, we receive and store User Content you provide to Company when you:
- use the Services; and/or
- post, upload, submit or otherwise provide content, materials or other information on, through or to the Services; and/or
- fill out surveys or questionnaires or sign up for or enter promotions, events or other special activities on, through or to the Services; and/or
- communicate with Company or with other users or participants of the Services (including the content of such communications and information provided in connection with such communications); and/or
- provide information to third parties and their web sites, applications and services which are accessed or used by Company or on, through or to the Services.
Information We Collect or Generate About You and/or Your Use of Services:
We receive, collect, generate and store certain types of information whenever you use the Services or otherwise interact with us. For example, we may automatically record your activity on the Services (such as rooms visited, amount, timing and type of video chatting and sharing activity, content shared, other Users interacted with, etc.), the time and date of your activities, your IP address, browser type, Internet Service Provider, page views, domains, operating system and similar information. Also, we may automatically send and receive information to and from your computer in connection with your use of the Services. Like many websites and online services, we may also use "cookies" (see below), log files, web beacon technologies and other automated tools to obtain certain types of information when your web browser or application (such as your installed hopin Application) accesses our Services.
How Is Your Information Used?
Company may use the information submitted, collected, received or generated from and/or about you for any of the following purposes (except that Facebook Information is subject to the Facebook Restrictions):
- To operate, provide, administer, develop, and improve our Services (including without limitation the hopin Application), and to operate and support Company’s related businesses.
- To better understand how users access and use our Services on an aggregated and individualized basis, to track and monitor usage, to conduct quality control, to fix technical and other errors or problems, to conduct market research and to respond to user desires and preferences.
- To analyze, compile, publish, sell and otherwise exploit information relating to usage and users of the Services.
- For advertising, marketing and promotional purposes.
- To provide personalized experiences and recommendations, language and location customization, personalized help and instructions, or other responses to your usage of our Services.
- To track memberships, purchases and usage as necessary for the purpose of our complying with any third party agreements or obligations (such as, for example, making royalty or other payments to third parties).
- To provide you with support and handle inquiries.
- To communicate with or contact you concerning your account or membership or your usage of or participation in the Services, and for other customer service, This will include use of your email address to send you messages and notices for the purposes described above and below.
- To bill you, process payments and for authorization, account history and billing purposes. This may include credit card authorization and verification for purchases made from Company, location verification for products and services which may have limited geographical access, and the like.
- To offer you content, services, or other products and services, including to develop new services and products.
- To provide you with news and newsletters, special offers, promotions, and targeted advertising.
- To comply with applicable laws, rules and regulations and any regulatory mandate or court order.
- To enforce our TOS and other applicable agreements, rights and remedies.
- To protect the safety of any person, to address fraud, security or technical issues, or to protect Company’s rights or property.
When is Information Shared with or Disclosed to Others or the Public?
Information provided by our users is an important part of our business. Company will share and disclose information submitted, collected, received or generated from and/or about you only as compatible with the purposes described above, when we have your consent (as may be provided by you from time to time through the Services or otherwise), and as described in this section as follows (except that Facebook Information is subject to the Facebook Restrictions):
Any User Content or other user information, content or materials submitted, posted, shared, transmitted or otherwise provided to public portions of the Services (such as video chat rooms, discussion groups, bulletin boards and similar forums) or portions of the Services designed for broad user access (such as reviews, focused user groups, etc.) are or may be shared with the public without restriction. Company also reserves the right to publish or make publicly available any information that is already publicly available prior to the time first provided to or collected by Company or information that becomes publicly available without any action or omission on the part of Company.
Aggregated Data and Anonymous Data:
Company may publish and otherwise disclose (a) on an aggregated basis, information regarding usage and users of the Services, and (b) information that is not connected to your name or similar information that would allow you to be specifically identified.• Disclosures In Connection with Permitted Uses. Company may disclose your information to third parties in connection with the purposes described in the previous section such as, for example, to implement advertising, marketing or promotional activities or transactions or to publish, sell and otherwise exploit information relating to usage and users of the Services.
Contractors, Collaborators and Agents:
Business Transfers and Collaborations:
As we continue to develop our business, we might sell the Company and/or its business or assets and/or sell or buy online sites, services, subsidiaries, or other businesses; or we might collaborate or partner with other companies in strategic transactions, business arrangements or licenses. In such transactions, customer and user information and information regarding usage of the Services generally would be one of the transferred business assets or otherwise one of the components of, or involved in, the transaction, we may therefore share this information in connection with such transactions or arrangements.
Compliance with Law and Protection of Company and Others:
We reserve the right to disclose your Personal Information and any other information when we believe release is appropriate to comply with the law, judicial proceeding, court order, subpoena or other legal process; detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security, emergency situations or technical issues; enforce or apply our TOS and other agreements, rights and remedies; or protect the rights, property, or safety of Company, our employees and contractors, our users, or others. This includes exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection and credit risk reduction purposes.
The Services may include or interoperate with applications, services, features or functionalities provided by third parties. In connection with such third party applications, services, features or functionalities, you may send (or such third parties may get access to) certain information about or related to you or your activities therewith. The use, storage and disclosure of such information by these third parties is subject to their own privacy policies.
Changing or Deleting Your Information
You may review, update, correct or delete the Personal Information in your registration or user profile from time to time.
If some or all of your information is deleted from your Facebook profile or (in the even one is created, in the Company’s user registration or profile section) your account may become deactivated, your right to use the Services may terminate and you may no longer be able to use the Services. We are not responsible for updating, correcting or removing any of your information disclosed to or held by third parties.
Cookies and Other Files
Log file information is automatically reported by your browser each time you access a web page. When you use the Services, our servers may record certain information that your web browser or the hopin Application sends whenever you visit any website or utilize any other services or applications. These server logs may include information such as your web request, Internet Protocol ("IP") address, browser type, referring / exit pages and URLs, number of clicks, domain names, landing pages, pages viewed, and other information. When you use the Services, we may employ clear GIFs (also known as web beacons) or similar mechanisms which are used to track the online usage patterns of our users anonymously. In addition, we may also use clear GIFs in HTML-based emails sent to our users to track which emails are opened by recipients.
To opt out of the collection or use of your information for ad targeting, please visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices.
Security and Protection of Your Information
We will make any legally required disclosures of any breach of the security, confidentiality, or integrity of your unencrypted electronically stored "personal data" (as defined in applicable statutes on security breach notification) to your via email or conspicuous posting on or through the Services in an expedient manner and without unreasonable delay, insofar as these are consistent with (i) the legitimate needs of law enforcement or (ii) any measures necessary to determine the scope of the breach and restore the reasonable integrity of the data system.
Our Services are hosted in the United States. If you use the Services from the European Union, Asia or any other country outside the United States with laws or regulations governing personal data collection, use and disclosure that differ from the United States laws and regulations, please be advised that through your continued use of the Services, you are transferring your information to the United States and you consent to that transfer. Your information may be transferred to - and maintained on - computers located outside of your state, province, country or other governmental jurisdiction where the privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your jurisdiction. If you are located outside the United States and choose to provide information to us or use the Services, Company transfers personal information to the United States and processes it there, and your submission of such information represents your consent and agreement to that transfer.
Our Policy Toward Children
In order to use our Services you must represent and warrant that you are over the age of 13 in the sign-up process. Children under the age of 13 are not eligible to use the Services and must not attempt to register with the Company and/or submit any personal information to us. We do not knowingly collect personal information from any person who is under the age of 13 or allow them to register. If it comes to our attention that we have collected personal data from a person under the age of 13, we will delete this information as quickly as possible.
Links to Other Sites, Services and Applications
Our Services contain links to, interoperate with, and allow you to share content to and from third party services, websites and applications. The fact that we link to a website, service or application or allow you to share content through these third parties is not an endorsement, authorization or representation that we are affiliated with that third party, nor is it an endorsement of their privacy or information security policies or practices. Other websites, services and applications follow different rules regarding the collection, use, storage or disclosure of the personal and other information. We encourage you to read the privacy policies or statements of the other websites, services and applications you use.
Limitation of Liability
Important information for users in the European Union (Effective May 25, 2018)
Controller. hopin, Inc. is the controller of the personal information that we have about you and can be reached at:
Your rights. You may ask us to take the following actions:
- Access. Provide you with information about our processing of your personal information and give you access to it.
- Correct. Update or correct inaccuracies in your personal information.
- Delete. Delete your personal information.
- Export. Export a machine-readable copy of your personal information that you can use with a different service.
- Restrict. Restrict the processing of your personal information.
- Object. Object to our reliance on our legitimate interests as the legal basis of processing your personal information if that processing adversely impacts your legal rights.
To request one of these actions, contact us at [email protected]. We may request information from you to help us confirm your identity and process your request. Applicable law may require or permit us to decline your request. If we decline your request, we will tell you why, subject to legal restrictions.
Marketing emails. You can always opt out of our marketing emails by following the unsubscribe prompt in the message or emailing your request to [email protected]. You may still receive administrative or other non-marketing messages.
International data use. If we transfer your personal information out of the European Economic Area in a manner that requires us to apply additional safeguards to your personal information under European data protection legislation, we will do so.
Legal bases. We generally process your personal information on the following legal bases:
- Contractual necessity. You have entered a contract with us and we need to use some of your personal information to provide services you have requested or take steps that you request prior to providing services. For example, we cannot create an account for you if you do not provide required information like your email address and password. If you do not provide information indicated as required or mandatory within our Services, or that is otherwise necessary to provide a requested service or feature within the Services, it will not be available to you.
- Compliance with law. We may have to process or share your personal information to comply with legal obligations, such as to comply with a subpoena or legal process.
- Legitimate interests. We process your personal information for purposes that constitute our legitimate interests, such as fraud prevention and safety; protecting our, your or others’ property rights; exercising or defending legal claims; investigating violations of and enforcing our Terms of Service; analyzing, personalizing and improving our Services; and marketing and advertising.
- Consent. In some cases, we may process your personal information based on your consent, such as where you give us permission to access to data on your mobile device through the prompts in your device’s operating system. Where we rely on your consent you have the right to withdraw it anytime in the manner indicated at the time consent is requested.
Questions, concerns, complaints. If you have any questions or concerns, please email us at [email protected]. In addition, you can always submit a complaint to your data protection regulator. You can find your data protection regulator here.